Chicken ghee roast,Mangalorean speciality,with stepwise pictures

This is my fourth recipe on chicken ghee roast in this space.As I have told you all earlier that I like to try different versions of the same recipe and this is the fourth version I'm posting in this blog..This is the bestest chicken ghee roast I have ever prepared.Sometime back my sister had requested me to cook any dry chicken dish for her sister in law and when she mentioned about their liking's on ghee roast,I suddenly remembered this recipe which I had bookmarked long long back.I stole adapted this recipe from the space, cherie's stolen recipes.
                               I used home made clarified butter that is ghee and I was very liberal on the usage. Amma had given me a big bottle of clarified butter and I used it with ease.Yes,I used it in whole lots for the first time in my life.Ghee roast and compromise on ghee,a big No.So weight watchers be cautious....But Once in a blue moon ,it is affordable to relish this high calorie dish. 
                               Mangaloreans are great lovers of ghee roast and so do I.I prepared this dish in a large amount so the usage of ghee is more.You may adjust the ghee according to your wish and taste.Please do not compromise this dish with oil,the game will be fully spoilt. I modified the recipe as per my natural instincts and taste.Same recipe may be prepared with veggies like babycorn,baby potatoes,cauliflower and other ingredients like soya chunks,paneer etc,but reduce the chillies as veggies doesn't hold much spice.

Recipe adapted from:Cherie's stolen recipes



Note:Please adjust the spice according to your taste

Ingredients:
Chicken-2 1/4 kg
Ghee-1/2 cup+1 cup + 2 tbsp
Lime-2,juice
Tamarind-double the marble size
Garlic-15-20 flakes



Ingredients to be marinated:
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Curds-1/2 cup
Lime-2

To be roasted and ground:
Kashmiri chillies-50
Coriander seeds-fistful
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-10-12 seeds
Peppercorns-1tsp
Coconut oil or ghee-1 tbsp + 1tsp

To garnish:
Curry leaves-3 sprigs
Coriander leaves-3 tbsp,chopped



Method for the marination:

  1. Cut the chicken into medium pieces and wash it well.
  2. Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients mentioned in the list for 4 hours.
  3. I marinated for 30 minutes approx.








Method for the masala:

  1. Roast the Kashmiri chillies in 1 tbsp of oil until crisp and keep it aside.
  2. Roast the other ingredients mentioned in the list with 1 tsp oil or ghee in the same pan until brown in colour.
  3. Cool the roasted ingredients and grind it with tamarind,garlic and water to a smooth paste.
  4. Heat 1/2 cup ghee in a pan and roast the ground masala for 30 minutes and keep it ready.














Method:

  1. Heat 1 cup ghee in a broad kadai and roast the marinated chicken in the ghee.
  2. Lot of stock will be released,don't panic,close the lid and cook for 10 - 12 minutes or until half cooked.
  3. Open the lid,higher the flame and reduce the stock.
  4. When it is 3/4th reduced add the roasted masala and mix it well,simmer for 10 minutes or more and add an additional 2-3 tbsp ghee if required and mix it.
  5. Lastly garnish with curry leaves,coriander leaves and squeeze 2 limes to balance the taste and mix it.
  6. Serve it hot with rice,roti or as a starter.









Labels: