Chicken Sukkha/Kori Ajadina

Chicken Sukkha is a popular Mangalorean Bunt cuisine.My blog would have been incomplete if I would  not have shared with you'll with this recipe.Few days back my FB friend Mrs Nandini Kini, who is an excellent cook, had posted this yummy recipe in a food group and it looked so inviting I wanted to try it right away and I prepared it today.This dish is also prepared by most of the other Mangalorean communities too.Though I'm not a very great chicken lover,as a kid  I used to be very tempted when I used watch my Amma and Aunty eat which my Aunt's friend used to parcel every year during Maarie gudi puja(local temple feast) or my Aunt would take me to her friends place for dinner which they used to serve with pundi or undi. But I wasn't eating chicken then...The best part in the dish is  I like  its aromatic masala.
              Chicken sukkha is served in most of the Bunt community weddings or receptions.Usually they prepare it authentically with the Nati koli or the country chicken.This dish is best served with pundi,red rice,neer dosa etc.There are many recipes of the same with slight variations.I also prepare an instant version which I will post in the coming days.The main ingredient in this dish is coconut,of course after chicken.The same masala may be used to prepare soya sukkha,egg sukkha,prawn sukkha etc but adjust the spices according to your tastebuds and remember to reduce the spice.

Ingredients:
Chicken-1 kg
Curry leaves-15-20 leaves
Ghee or oil-2 tbsp
Onions-3,chopped
Tamarind- marble sized
Salt - to taste
Lime-Juice of half lime
Ingredients for the first masala:
Coriander seeds-6 tsp
Cumin seeds-2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-7-8 seeds
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Roasted long chillies-20
Coconut-1 cup
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Oil-1 tbsp


Ingredients for the second masala:
Coconut-1 1/2 -2 cups,grated,use the white part
Garlic-10
Cumin seeds-2 tsp

Method:

  1. Heat oil in a pan and roast all the ingredients mentioned under the first masala until brown in colour. (add the turmeric powder once you off the flame to avoid burning).
  2. Grind the roasted ingredients,tamarind to a fine paste with little water to a fine paste and keep it aside.
  3. Grind the ingredients mentioned under the second masala coarsely and keep it aside.
  4. Heat ghee in a cooking pan and fry onions until translucent,add curry leaves and fry for a minute.
  5. Add chicken pieces,add masala water,cover the pan and once half cooked add masala no 1,salt and cook it until done.
  6. Once the chicken gets cooked and the masala's are infused add the second masala and cook it for sometime,add lime juice and cook for 5 more minutes.
  7. Serve it hot.


My notes:
Masala water is once you grind both the masala,after transferring it to the bowl,add a cup of water in the blender,using your hand or a spoon,scrape off  any leftover masala in the water and use it.
Generally  in  most of the dish we use the masala water for extra taste and the masala is  not wasted too.





Labels: