Fruit and nut cake(Eggless)

Christmas time is incomplete without a fruit and nut cake.This was in my list since a long time and have bookmarked several other  recipes.I got to try few more recipes of the same.Every baking experience is teaching me new things.One mistake I often commit is that I start baking in the evening and cant resist until the cake gets cooled completely and goof up and unmould it in a hurry....The cake tasted awesome and the house was smelling good with the fragrance of cinnamon and fruits.I picked up this recipe because it was very simple and looked tasty.One more reason I wanted to bake this  cake because I got my brand new bread loaf tin day before yesterday from Kamath and Co and wanted to inaugurate it.Thanks again hubby dear.Poor fellow personally went and bought it for me.Since I goofed up many times while baking this cake I thought I wont share this cake this time,but then tastewise it was superb ,so thought of sharing it.Please let the cake completely cool before you unmould and slice.This cake batter will make a nice Bundt cake.

Recipe source:Showmethecurry.com






Ingredients:
Maida(All purposr flour)-1 3/4 cup
Water-2 cups
Cashewnuts-1/2 cup
Walnuts-1/4 cup
Almonds-1/4 cup
Raisins-1/4 cup
Tutti fruity-1/2 cup
Glazed cherries-1/4 cup
Unsalted Butter-1 stick(1/2 cup) 100 g approx
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
Baking powder-1 tsp
Baking soda-1/2 tsp
Salt-1/2 tsp
Sugar-1 cup (powdered)
Cinnamon powder-1 tsp
Nutmeg powder-1 tsp



Method:

  1. In a saucepan,add 2 cups of water and add fruits and nuts ,cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium heat for exactly 10 minutes.
  2. Pour water with fruits into a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add butter and mix until melted,allow to cool for about  10 minutes or until completely cooled.
  4. Add vanilla essence and give it a mix.
  5. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C/350 deg F.
  6. In a separate bowl,sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.
  7. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
  8. Grease a pan and add the batter and bake for 40 -45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean while you insert it in the centre.
  9. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes and flip out onto a baking rack to further cool.


My notes:
I goofed up adding nuts while cooking fruits,you have to cook only fruits.
You may make any combination of fruit and nut,total should be 1 cup of fruits and 1 cup of nuts.
You may also add candied orange peel and rum essence.
Other fruits and nuts of your choice can be added like  pecans,apricots,prunes etc.
My cake tin was little small and batter was more,but it didn't spill out as it was eggless,I felt it was better I used a different tin,but I took the risk as it was eggless and was assured that the  cake wouldn't raise,but I could not cut beautiful slices,that was the drawback.
I also unmoulded the cake soon which slightly broke(almost half broke lol).
Whenever you me bake cake it should be done patiently.
So next time I promise myself to bake patiently and wait until the cake  gets cooled completely and then slice attack it.
Last but not the least the cake tasted excellent and for that I get full marks,haha.
Until then Happy baking !



Labels: